Latest News

My FUTO Story - #3



I do not really keep a diary, but I am blessed with a retentive memory. My FUTO experience can most definitely be developed into a soap opera, so for the benefit of this post I would summarize as much as I can. So enjoy the read.
I did not get into FUTO with one full stroke of luck, as at the time of my admission, JAMB was in charge of admitting students into tertiary institutions, so I was admitted into another school but it took me a total of 3weeks of not attending classes to transfer my admission to FUTO. My most stressful and acute memory was the stress of going to FUTO daily from the city, writing letters and travelling to JAMB office in Abuja to get documents and validate my transfer.

Year one
I remember the first time I walked into my lecture hall. It was as busy as a bee hive. I had never seen so many people in one place in reality except on TV. That day I was feeling funky so I stood up and introduced myself to every single person in that hall. It was in that process that I meet my best friend today. She has one of the prettiest smile I have ever seen and always wears matching outfits.  Also I had my first heart break during this period. I had a huge crush on this fair fine girl and I became her engine drawing boyfriend hoping to gradually develop into the real deal, until I saw her kissing a guy at the back of the man ´O war van parked in front of hall c.
I walked back to my hostel, head bowed in shame. Lamenting at the money I used in buying the Eisman fries pack I was holding in my hands. Never again will I beat around the bush, when a girl I like is involved.

Second semester had events that clearly defined who I was going to be in school. One day, I decided to take an alternate route to the hostel when I heard music emanating from PMT hall. Curiosity directed my next steps and I found myself writing a screening exam for SIFE FUTO (I had heard about SIFE FUTO from my elder sister and friend before I got admission). They say curiosity kills the cat but this time around it gave the cat milk to drink.
It was also in my second semester that I designed the first FUTO map that guides Jambites when they come to write their post UTME exams. It was a huge hit, that fellowships even adopted my designs.

Year Two
My second year was crazy with activities. I had a leadership position in my fellowship and had to effectively deliver my duties. I needed to become Chike Obi or even prof that stays at CCE building. I was still struggling with mathematics and FUTO just had to be a sadist by making me take a total of 9 mathematical courses.
I also become very active in SIFE, helping out in project executions and designing the killer power point presentation that helped us win the National competition. With this heavy backpack I was carrying, my GP sank like Titanic but thank God my head was still a little above the water.

Year Three
This was the year I mastered time management, note taking, speed writing etc. even my academics became balanced. I found a way to maneuver Algebra and other mathematical courses with the help of my classmates and Sir Neto. My skills in graphic designing also improved and soon I was working with professionals and artists to create beautiful and crazy publications. But this was also the year SIFE FUTO lost its prestigious crown to Kaduna State Polytechnic.

Year Four and Five

By fourth year, I had become a pro. I made excellent grades and during my 6 months Industrial Training, I acquired top notch skills. When I came back for my final year, I could speak better in public, enter confidently into offices and engage in a conversation with the Imo State governor. I took a picture with the Vice Chancellor, learnt how to install a home inverter system in a rural community and got a background knowledge on several programming languages, web designing and mobile application development.

My final year got me chasing my tail because after every intensive lecture, I still had to go back home on a daily basis to type in some code on the android application I was developing for my project work. It was also when I had my first encounter with thieves. My phone and money was stolen, even my belt was not too small for them. I was beaten up like a dog and had to trek all the way from futo road to Umuchima dragging my trousers.

My stay in FUTO was one that has enriched me for life after graduation. Now I can stand on my own without necessarily looking for an employer. Not because I stayed within the confines of my class but because I dared to dream and wasn’t afraid to go beyond my limits.

Jacob Onyeanu is a computer scientist with a passion for web and graphic designing. He is emotional, hates watermelon and loves playing in the rain. He claims to have entered every building in FUTO including where exam papers are printed. What took him there is a question we have to ask him. You can reach him on his mail jacobgad522@gmail.com for creative graphic designs.

4 comments:

  1. Dis is nice. Kp it up @ jacob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Great profile, you really got the total package out of school. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts with Us

HeartForte Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Free Blogger Themes

Designed by HeartForte | Developed by WG Labs Copyright © 2015

Theme images by luoman. Powered by Blogger.