Latest News

My FUTO Story - #1

5th December, 2015 saw many of us holding our empty scrolls and gowns smiling to the flash of cameras. Before this day, I had no idea if I was going to make it or not due to the engagement I had at that moment. A friend asked me to then write about my experience in school and I thought- why make it about me. I should reach out to people and see what comes after. Surprisingly I got a positive response and here we are- 7 days of captivating stories.  Do enjoy, comment and also do not forget to share.




MY FUTO STORY- entry 01

A good friend of mine recently asked me, What was your experience like as a FUTO undergraduate?
Well, five years is a long time to gather a lot of experiences so I will try to paint them all in these vital scenarios. FUTO has a way of shaping an individual - positively or negatively. It all depends on how you choose to tackle the challenges the school throws at you.


When I found myself my in FUTO the idiosyncrasy I had towards every person I had an encounter with is not what I can publicly share but over time I learnt that they all had a lesson to teach me and vice versa. Such lessons are now a treasure which I guard jealously.


My chronicles all started as a jambito who had a dream of becoming a medical doctor but as fate would have it, I found myself studying a course I had no interest in.  My name appeared on the admission list two weeks before the semester exams, so I started school with a lazy attitude, thinking it was going to be the same as secondary school. Unfortunately, I was very wrong and learnt this the hard way. I had no note, had no idea that FUTO exams were systematic and the only tutorial I attended was chemistry by Brainburster. I wrote my exams and by the end of my first year, I had a spillover from two courses.


I was disturbed so I asked for the master result sheet only to discover that I had a missing test score and a 2 as my practical score. If you are reading this and you attend(ed) FUTO, then you understand how stressful year 1 practicals are and how no one deserves 2 out of 20 marks. Just the sweat and paracetamol you had to take after the exercise should earn you half the score already.


I sought for advice from my class adviser and was asked to rewrite the courses as opposed to writing letters requesting for a remark. I had to drop courses the next year and that was the beginning of my woes. I now truly understood why FUTO is tagged FRUSTRATION UNDER TENSION OWERRI.

I still had to struggle to correct the distortion in my results but that did not stop me from venturing into school politics in my third year. I pushed kaaraa and became the vice president of my department. It was one of the best decisions I made as it allowed me discover my inner being, but I had to pay the price with my grades again. School Politics can be both good and bad but you just have to live in the trend of the good. It comes with popularity, connecting with the important people in school and so on. In other words, it prepared me for the future.


Friends!

You cant spend five years in school and not make friends. Your choice of friends can make or break you. Before I went on my 6 months industrial training, I had friends who had no focus or direction. Then I went on IT and met people who pushed and inspired me to do more. I came back to school with a better sense of direction.
My grades increased drastically and I Started attending church weekly activities where I learnt this slogan and took it to heart read as if it all depends on you and pray as if it depends on God. I however had to live with the mistakes I made. I was now unable to make a second lass upper honors but I was determined to burn candles at midnight to reach a 3.0 CGPA to so I could pursue my MSC without having to do a 12 months postgraduate diploma.


Another scenario that wont escape my memory in a hurry was when I received a call from a one-time personal assistant to the vice chancellor to meet him at the deans office. On arrival I was welcomed, small talk ensued and when the issue of my result came up. I was honest to tell the dean that ewes graduating with a second class lower division.

He says to me haba thats too poor

Do you know I can make you graduate with a first class?

I looked at him surprised but made no comment. He however continued.

All you have to do is come check up on me from time to time and I will make it happen

It took me a minute or two to realize I was being propositioned for sex. I had heard of such stories and always dismissed them. And here I with a man old enough to be my father. I walked out of his office and offer as I could not bear to disgrace the Christian home I grew up in.


Today as I write this I feel chirpy not because I got what I wanted but because its my convocation. I passed through FUTO and FUTO passed through me. Lots of experiences helped shape me into the woman I have now become.
Hurray! I am a graduate on paper but I do have better plans and goals that the world should anticipate.

Written by - a FUTO graduate (anonymous)

This first entry was written by a good friend who adamantly requested to remain anonymous. Her honesty and dedication to service are qualities that endeared me to her. Thank you for sharing this with us and congratulations.


6 comments:

  1. That is part of the challenges one has to face as a student, ranging from academics to morality of life. Thank God you didn't allow your quest for a good certificate to tamper with your moral being. Yes certificate is important but it is not a sine qua non for success...God will reward you abundantly for being morally upright even when faced with challenges that every other secular person would have fallen for......nice post @consy....I see another Linda Ikeji in you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said. A challenge many of us seem to face on life has to do with morality. That she was able to overcome this is a inspiring. Thanks for reading Godwin

      Delete
  2. Well said.. Honestly written.

    ReplyDelete
  3. awesome narration, its great to have a story to tell after those grueling bouts of five years. your sincerity strengthens my heart

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts with Us

HeartForte Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Free Blogger Themes

Designed by HeartForte | Developed by WG Labs Copyright © 2015

Theme images by luoman. Powered by Blogger.