Latest News

My FUTO Story - #14










Many events occurred while I was in school. I joined many societies and was very active in my village association. But, the one that I can never forget was when I travelled from Owerri to Lagos at night.


This happened in my third year. I was an Enactus FUTO member and the rest of my teammates had travelled to Lagos for the annual competition. I did not want to go along because exams were fast approaching and I wanted to study more. Unfortunately and fortunately for us, that was when ASUU decided to go on an indefinite holiday.


It was exactly on the 1st of July, 2013 when a phone call from my team leader Chris woke me up from a deep slumber. I later wished I did not pick the call for the conversation was filled with instructions. I was to go to Owerri, pick up team shirts, verification forms and the annual reports and bring them to Lagos immediately. I had no excuse to give as the strike took effect immediately and there was no more activity in school.


I braced myself for the unknown, packed light and took the next bus to Owerri. On getting to my destination, the reports were not yet ready. So, I had to wait till about 1 pm before I left for Onitsha with a bag filled with responsibilities.


I arrived Onitsha by 2pm with just #4000 in my pocket. At the park, I was informed that the fare to Lagos was #3,800. I had paid and gotten my ticket when I realized that I was going to need extra money for shuttle services when I arrived Lagos. I left the park to the nearest ATM I could find but I was met with a long queue. I told them my story and after much grumbling was allowed to use the machine.

After the second trial without being dispensed cash, the network became unavailable. I expressed my gratitude and continued my search for an ATM. I found 2 banks and used three ATMs within the banks. One of them almost electrocuted me. If this was a power glitch or happened just in my mind is still beyond my understanding. The other ATM debited me but did not dispense the money. I must have run mad for some minutes before I decided to check the pockets of some of the trousers I packed. The heavens smiled at me and I discovered some forgotten money.


I took the nearest keke back to the park. Ready to embark on this journey that had been faced with so many obstacles. On getting to the park we were transferred to another bus and asked to pay extra #1,000 or get down and be refunded. I begged with touts hassling us for the money and parted with #600.
Finally the bus left by 5.30 pm, so imagine what the time was when I arrived Lagos or how I was able to locate the Hotel which was in faraway Ajah. When I arrived, the greetings and cheers I received from the others made me feel like a hero. If only they knew the trauma I faced to get there.
FUTO did not win this competition but we got connected to a life changing experience.


I was a student with a very busy social and spiritual life but I thank God for having seen me through my stay in school. Mr. Future where are you? We need to have a chit chat.


Christian Okonkwo is a man of many names- Highchief, Akarakaoma, Efifutrans etc. He loves food and has sentimental attachments to particular clothing items. When he grows up, he wants to be the president of his village town union association. Christian is dedicated to service and is passionate about whatever he believes in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Thoughts with Us

HeartForte Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Free Blogger Themes

Designed by HeartForte | Developed by WG Labs Copyright © 2015

Theme images by luoman. Powered by Blogger.