Latest News

My FUTO Story - #17









Dreams, freedom, expectations, adventure and all that is sweet. These were all neatly folded in my Ghana-must-go bag as I dragged it into the hostel.


My five years began on the 9th of February, 2011.  I resumed late and had to struggle to make up for lost time. I was admitted into the department of Biochemistry. A course I disliked but applied for anyway out of sheer stubbornness. My hatred was born from fear of chemistry which made me dislike everything FUTO, from the practicals to lectures. The only remedy to this malady was a change of department.


This never happened. I had a GPA of 2.33 with a beautiful F in physics adorning my first semester result. My fate in Biochemistry was sealed even before the struggle started.


I accepted this as a five year challenge and I had fun amidst tears during my stay in school. I ventured into politics and was successful at it.
Enactus happened in my third year and became a family away from home. What Enactus did to me and what I did for her is a story for another day. Missing lectures, going for project executions, traveling at night to Eziobodo-elu for presentation rehearsals etc. if was challenging but also fun. I learnt how to prioritize and make use of my time effectively.

 
I cannot forget a scenario that occurred when I was going back to my lodge at Umuchima by 3am from night class. I was sleep-walking during this journey. Exhausted, hungry and hoping to meet the pot of rice I cooked earlier, I unlocked the gate to my room

I did meet my pot of rice. But my roommates had decided to spice it up with home grown cannabis (weed). I ate the food unsuspectingly and somehow my weak body became energized. I started dancing to their cheers till I fell asleep with a heavy thud. How I did not break my arm was a miracle.


My final year was faced with optimism. I was eager to get away from the course which I later learnt to love and appreciate but not accept. There were lectures, practicals and project to keep me busy. I was blessed with a lovely supervisor until she decided to dish me a hot peppery slap for a crime that was not mine to commit. All that was good ended well and I graduated with a wonderful result.


FUTO is a hell hole but it made me very strong to face the world.

John Uwaike is a legendary trouble maker. He is a Biochemist who has, being stubborn and annoying written as hobbies in his resume. He is fun to be and loves to keep his environment clean always. Maazi as fondly called by some or Edu by others loves cat and may name his first child after his cat. He enjoys playing chess, video games and football. But always cries after losing a game. Ask his bathroom. He hates cooking but appreciates good food. He loves to sing but his voice can shrink matter. He is selfless in his actions and can climb a mountain in the cold for a friend in need.

1 comment:

  1. Good story....dancing 2 cannabis.. Lolz..

    ReplyDelete

Share Your Thoughts with Us

HeartForte Designed by Templateism.com Copyright © 2014

Free Blogger Themes

Designed by HeartForte | Developed by WG Labs Copyright © 2015

Theme images by luoman. Powered by Blogger.